You can associate your own keyboard shortcuts with PowerBuilder menu items. For example, if you've used another debugger, you may be accustomed to using specific function keys or key combinations to step into and over functions. So you may want to create keyboard shortcuts to associate actions in PowerBuilder's Debugger with the keystrokes you are used to.
Tip Creating keyboard shortcuts means you can use the keyboard instead of the mouse in many situations such as changing applications, objects, or connections by creating shortcuts for the File>Recent menu items. This is particularly useful when you are creating a distributed application and want to toggle between the client application and the server application.
- To associate a keyboard shortcut with a menu item:
- Select Window>Keyboard Shortcuts from the menu bar.
- Select a menu item with no shortcut or a menu item with a default shortcut that you want to change and then put the cursor in the Press Keys For Shortcut textbox.
- Press the keys you want for the shortcut to display the new shortcut in the textbox.
If you type a shortcut that is already being used, a message notifies you so you can type a different shortcut or change the existing shortcut.
- To remove a keyboard shortcut associated with a menu item:
- To reset shortcuts to the PowerBuilder shortcuts either globally or for the current painter:
- Click the Reset button and respond to the prompt.